And this is brilliant. Because it demonstrates that racism isn’t only present in clearly malicious and evil people, in the Malfoys and Blacks - it’s also there in warm, kind, funny people who just happened to learn some pretty toxic things growing up in a pretty toxic society. And they can unlearn them too, with some time and effort. Ron eventually accepts Hagrid’s parentage, lets Lupin bandage his leg and in the final battle, he worries about the safety of the house elves.
Some people are prejudiced because they are evil, and some people are prejudiced because they don’t know better yet. And those people can learn better, and become better people. And that’s an important lesson. The lesson taught about discrimination shouldn’t be “only evil people do it”, because then all readers will assume it doesn’t apply to them. Instead old JK teaches us “you too are probably doing it, and you should do stop ASAP”.
Girls who don’t receive romantic/sexual attention from boys blame themselves
Boys who don’t receive romantic/sexual attention from girls blame girls
If the thing you’re most proud of today is getting out of bed and making yourself breakfast then the thing I’m most proud of today is you.
I FEEL THIS DEEPLY
1. Because a woman brought into this world will inevitably be given pepper spray “just in case.”
2. Because by sixteen, a young girl knows how to avoid being sexually assaulted, while a boy of the same age does not fear sexual assault in the slightest.
3. Because a girl who mocks men is a bitch, and a boy who mocks women is joking.
4. Because a girl who has sex is a slut, and a boy who has sex is a man.
5. Because in a murder, the killer is at fault, but the blame of rape is often put on the victim.
6. Because we teach girls how not to get raped instead of teaching anyone simply not to rape.
7. Because a woman should put more clothes on if her outfit makes a man uncomfortable, because his self control is her responsibility.
8. Because feminists just need to chill out.
9. Because a 22 year old sex-obsessed virgin can murder 7 people, and the problem is that someone should’ve just slept with him.
10. Because not all men are predators, but yes, all women are prey.
ME IN EVERY SINGLE MOVIE LATELY
Orphan Black’s Tatiana Maslany: Putting the special in special effects.* (x)
*Thanks to OB visual effects geniuses at Intelligent Creatures for making multiple Tatiana Maslanys possible!
This drives me mad. I used to work in a bookstore, and was talking to my coworker and he just yelled out “stop flirting with me!” at this ridiculous volume and it was humiliating because
1. I wasn’t
2. I got in trouble for acting unprofessional
3. He embarrassed me in front of a line of people
4. And he only stopped insisting that I was flirting when my boyfriend (who is now my husband) said, “dude, trust me, she’s not flirting with you” to him
That asshole respected my BOYFRIEND saying I wasn’t flirting more than he respected me saying it and I was the one who was talking! The whole scene got me in trouble at work. And the most ridiculous part is we were talking about a fucking book. In a bookstore.
One time, my ex boyfriend had a crush on some girl, and said that he thought he might have “a chance” with her.
When I asked him what made him think that, he said “Well, she talks to me.”
And this is why it is so difficult to be a girl and be friends with men who are attracted to women.
Can we also add that this is why a lot of women do the resting bitch face when out in public. Cause dudes swear a glance or a smile is flirting.
Comment on the size of a man’s penis and it’s a low blow and a stab at his masculinity. Comment on the size of a woman’s anything and it’s a social norm.
"It’s sad to see a man of generally good character in the dock for such a serious offence.
"I do not regard you as a classic rapist. I do not think you are a general danger to strangers. You are not the type who goes searching for a woman to rape.
"This was a case where you just lost control of normal restraint."
"It was almost out of the blue that two girls turned up late at night, very, very drunk, at your home.
"The victim was the worst for drink out of the two of them. She was completely out of it. I accept that evidence.
"She was a pretty girl who you fancied. You simply could not resist. You had sex with her."
Imagine the same type of apologistic statements being told by a judge to someone convicted of robbing people on the street…
"It was almost out of the blue that a wealthy couple turned up late at night, with expensive phones and full wallets, outside your home."
"I do not regard you as a classic robber. I do not think you are a general danger to strangers. You are not the type who goes searching for a person to rob."
"She was a wealthy woman whose handbag you wanted. You simply could not resist. You had to rob her."
Rape culture is the fact that no other crime would be treated with such dismissiveness of the seriousness of the act.(via misandry-mermaid)